I have always been someone who values taking care of my body and building healthy habits. And because we are cool, I can admit that there are times when I get so caught up in the grind of my weekday routine that I forget to take care of myself. One area where I have been aiming to make a change is in my morning routine, specifically with my breakfast.
Ok so if you just read that then maybe it doesn't sound like a "big deal" to start there but by singling out this small moment, I am aiming for something bigger. I am aiming to build a healthy habit that will become a part of my core. You know what I mean right? Your core is that thing that makes you who you are, opposite of what you do. Because not for nothing, me at my core is more than just a caregiver or entrepreneur. Me at my core is significant, brilliant, funny, kind, bold, present, and authentic. So come with me as I share how I am building my healthy habits to establish my core, starting with breakfast!
The most important of them all
Rumor or nah... is breakfast really the most important meal of the day? Insert face with raised eyebrow AND raised hand here cause I've got questions! So let's get into the why, how come, and how dare you on how that even got started.
- Called "breakfast" because you're breaking the fast from the night before. When you sleep, your body is fasting for about 8 hours, so it's important to refuel and reenergize with a nutritious breakfast in the morning.
- The concept of breakfast as we know it began to take shape around the 15th century. Studies showed that starting the day with a nutritious breakfast helped people to maintain a healthy weight, improve their mental focus, and reduce their risk of developing chronic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes.
HOW COME BREAKFAST
- Eating breakfast jump-starts your metabolism for the day and gives you the energy you need to power through your morning.
- It's a chance to replenish your body after a long night's sleep and helps with concentration focus and it can even improve your mood.
HOW DARE YOU — MAKE BREAKFAST
- The thing is, building healthy habits is all about intentional consistency. By skipping breakfast, you're more likely to snack later in the day or make poor food choices because you're so ravenous. Eating breakfast, on the other hand, gives your body the fuel it needs to power through and sets you up for making better choices throughout the day. So even if it's just a quick bowl of cereal or a piece of fruit, don't skip it, build it!
I used to neglect making the time to eat a healthy meal in the morning, but I have been actively challenging myself to change that! Whether I am setting aside some time on the weekend to wash some fruits or ordering some smoothies from Daily Harvest (DH), your girl is making sure to not have a reason to skip breakfast.
And in all honesty I am really just trying to make having breakfast an easy and no-fuss situation. In the book Atomic Habits, the author James Clear expounds on the secret to sticking to your habits is by understanding the laws of behavior change.
The first three laws of behavior change—make it obvious, make it attractive, and make it easy.
Once I understood this law it all started to make sense and now I turn up for breakfast.
Ok well that's you, but see me I'm fitting to turn up
I'm building healthy habits one meal at a time and enjoying every minute of it! I can definitely confirm that I have checked off the 3 boxes of making my new healthy habit obvious (front and center when I open my fridge), attractive (using aesthetically pleasing dinnerware) and easy (favorite fruits washed and sorted).
So like at first I thought that making my breakfast an upper echelon experience was you know, frivolous but now... NOW I realize that it's actually essential. For the way I am building my own experience with healthy habits, aesthetics and ease are what I am about. Disclaimer: Now this may not be your experience but for me, I thoroughly enjoy turning up!
For example, by using a gold reusable straw in my DH smoothie cups to enjoying the cutest artisanal bowls for my fruits, I'm creating a vibe that is both fun and nutritious. Even my dope drinking beverages, that are both aesthetically pleasing and delicious, helps me to stay hydrated and motivated. So, trust and believe, I am committed to making this a continued vibe!
Building healthier habits isn't always the easiest thing to do. It requires time, consistency and discipline in order for it to become second nature. However, by starting with small practices, it can make the challenge an easier one to overcome.
I hope that by reading this article it can inspire you to not overhaul your entire routine at once, but to focus on building one healthy habit at a time. Create sustainable changes that you can stick to long-term, and be sure to celebrate your successes along the way. By taking it one step at a time, you'll be on your way to building healthier habits that will last a lifetime.
What strategies have you guys come up with to build and stick to healthy habits?
Until next time, xo Nikki 💋
TTYL, XOXO Nikki♥♥
Original Post August 2017 | Revised Post June 2022